GA4

Monday, January 30, 2006

KAKAPO PARROTS - Island home to treasury of wildlife

Here's New Zealand's Stuff again with an article on Maud Island and their sole Kakapo Parrot.
Each summer the Department of Conservation holds open days on Maud Island reserve in Pelorus Sound. Sonia O'Regan went along to visit this very special haven.

Despite being cleared and grazed for a century, Maud Island is free of predators.

A lot of effort - not to mention eggs - goes into ensuring that it remains a safe haven.
[...]
Another precious native on Maud Island is the kakapo. Bronwen says there's only one presently on the island and during the booming season he gets rather lonely.

'He ended up inside on our couch the other night,' she says.

Conservation workers are currently experimenting in taking sperm from the kakapo to potentially use artificial insemination as a tool to mix up the species' limited gene pool.

'You don't want to know how they do that,' Bronwen assures me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing to read about all the research and recovery efforts going on around the world to help threatenead and endangered species? I have just recently found your blog and enjoy getting to know about the work of Douglas Adams and the current work going on in the world today.

I have always loved animals and been facinated by them. As a result I started my business to help save endangered species through the sale of chocolates and candy. I have also added a blog to my business called, Blogging with The Wild Bon Bon. I would like to invite you to visit it at the following address.

http://www.wildbonbon.com/blog

Keep up the great blog. I am enjoying it immensely.

Kathy